Young people are the future of our communities. By sowing seeds for their development and building infrastructure to help them flourish, we are investing in a healthy future for everyone.
That’s why we are proud to announce that the YMCA of Greater Toronto has been named as one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People for 2017. This is the seventh time we have received this special designation, which “recognizes employers that offer the nation’s best workplaces and programs for young people just starting their careers.” And that’s not all; the Y was also recognized as one of Canada’s Best Employers for Recent Graduates, and featured in the Career Directory, a guide to entry-level recruitment for recent college and university graduates.
At the Y, we are committed to providing quality programs for young people in our communities, as well as creating positive work environments for our young staff and volunteers. Guided by our leadership group that includes a Youth Advisory Committee, we strive to create safe spaces where young people — staff, volunteers, participants, and members — can learn from each other and experience a healthy sense of belonging.
Young staff members are a huge part of the YMCA of Greater Toronto team; 45% of our employees are younger than age 30. The Y is committed to building a strong foundation for these young employees, by providing:
- a variety of roles and progressive opportunities to carve out their career path;
- leadership, mentorship and training including opportunities to represent the Y at conferences, international exchanges, and global events;
- invitations to engage with senior leaders — including at a 2-day overnight new staff orientation session (at YMCA Cedar Glen Outdoor Centre), and at a wide range of events throughout the year;
- opportunities to lead and deliver programs for other youth and make a positive impact in their communities;
- many seasonal and part-time employment opportunities (we hired over 850 staff last summer and will be posting many of our seasonal opportunities between January and February this year); and
- a diverse and inclusive work environment which places emphasis on wellness, holistic health, and work/life balance.
Learn more about our selection as a Top Employer for Young People (2017). You can also find the full list of Top Employers for Young People 2017 in a special magazine feature in The Globe and Mail.